Construction Hours

The City of Sammamish receives a number of complaints about violations of the City’s construction hours. While noise will inevitably occur as part of any construction project, builders can minimize the impacts by adhering to the City’s Construction Hours Ordinance. Site managers on job sites need to be aware of these regulations pertaining to construction hours and related noise.

Please be aware that all of the following constitutes a violation of the hours of construction if the activities occur outside of the construction hours listed in SMC 16.05.030.

  • Loading or unloading of equipment and/or materials.
  • Running or moving any machinery.
  • Any act of construction.

16.05.030 Hours of Construction.

Except as approved by the City manager, or designee, to minimize overall public impact and/or inconvenience or otherwise provided in this chapter, the activities and construction noise regulated by this chapter shall be limited to the following hours:

  1. Monday through Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
  2. Saturdays and Holidays: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  3. Sundays: No construction.
  4. Holidays: No construction will be allowed on the following holidays – New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

When an exception is granted by the City Manager, or manager’s designee, a notice that an exception has been granted shall be provided to affected property owners/residents and to the police department. Notice may be provided by one or more of the following methods: verbal; written; or by posted signage. The method or methods used shall depend upon the scope and duration of the exception.

If you have a concern about construction noise, you may file a complaint with us or discuss it with our Code Compliance Division as indicated below.

To report a violation of construction hours outside of normal business hours, please call our after-hours emergency line at 425-295-0700.

We do not enforce the Sammamish Municipal Code sections that cover loud noises from horns or sirens, motor vehicles, musical instruments, car stereos, audio systems or other public disturbance noises. Please contact the Sammamish Police Department non-emergency number at (206) 296-3311, for these types of noise complaints.